Saturday, September 10, 2011

i'm a republican. i think.

I am a registered republican voter. Do I really know what that means? No. I just know some basic values that republicans are apparently supposed to share and I said, sure that's me. Now don't go all crazy on me because I'm not educated enough on my party. I know that. But party shmarty. It's not how I will define myself.

This whole idea of me wanting to write about political parties started because I was reading some article on September 11th. And then I was praying about some things. And I started to pray about our country and for the next president. And I prayed, God please rise up the right person to take office next; regardless of their party.

I am not a very political person. But it was always one of my favorite subjects in school. So I do enjoy it somewhat.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who get caught up in their party being eternally right and everyone else being wrong. Because in my opinion we should be voting for the individual who we agree with, not necessarily the party. Because sometimes the person who is representing my party doesn't represent my values, morals or beliefs. And sometimes, the person who is representing my opposing party does. Should I vote for someone solely based on party or should I vote for someone who shares my beliefs. I understand that typically the person representing your chosen party shares your beliefs but that doesn't always make them the right person, does it?

I have a facebook friend who is a pastor. His political view is listed as "just try to vote like Jesus." And that is how I believe voting should be. If I am supposed to try to bring the kingdom of God here on Earth, shouldn't I be siding with people whose views, opinions and beliefs are closer to that than someone who represents my party? It shouldn't matter if the person is republican, democrat, green party, etc.

So instead of focusing solely on parties, I want to focus solely on the individuals running.

And then vote like Jesus.

No comments: