Thursday, May 12, 2011

the cure.

I have self-diagnosed anxiety. This is something that I've dealt with for a few years now. Although a doctor has yet to tell me that I suffer from it. Probably because I haven't been to a doctor for it. It's not enough to make want to see a doctor and take some meds for it. But I do experience moderate levels of anxiety. But this post is not about whether or not I have anxiety. It's more than that.

It's about God speaking to me. In a very cool way. Let me explain.

This morning I was spending some time reading my Bible and having a little prayer/conversation with God. I think a lot of the time my conversations with God are repetitive because a lot of the time God is telling me, trust me. And that is very difficult for me. Not because I don't believe God can be trusted but because I get in the way. I think I have it all figured out. Or more than likely, I am just too impatient to wait for God's timing. But back to my conversation with God. I have anxiety about the end times. All the natural disasters occurring and what not. I just want to ignore it because it brings about stress and anxiety. So this morning my conversation was semi-centered around that. And there it is again, God telling me, trust me. And then I get this feeling (okay more like God telling me) that I should open my Bible to read something. And then Psalm 56 is pressed on my heart. And I'm just thinking, okay this is myself trying to make something "spiritual." But I turn to Psalm 56 and this is what it says:

Be merciful to me, my God,
for my enemies are in hot pursuit;
all day long they press their attack,
My adversaries pursue me all day long;
in their pride many are attacking me.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise--
In God I trust and am not afraid.
What can mere mortals do to me?

All day long they twist my words;
all their schemes are for my ruin.
They conspire, they lurk,
they watch my steps,
hoping to take my life.
Because of their wickedness do not let them escape;
In your anger, God, bring the nations down.

Record my misery,
list my tears on your scroll--
are they not in your record?
Then my enemies will turn back
when I call for help.
By this I will know that God is for me.

In God, whose word I praise,
In the Lord, whose word I praise--
in God I trust and am not afraid.
What can man do to me?

I am under vows to you, my God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.


This is God. Speaking to me. This is exactly what I needed to hear.

When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you, God.

No comments: