Thursday, April 28, 2011

princess. err, scratch that. LOVE(d).

Every bride should feel like a princess on her wedding day.

Well, I certainly have never dreamt of feeling like a princess on my wedding day. In fact, I don't even desire to be pampered. Because I feel like that is so un-me. And the last thing I want on my wedding day is to not feel like me. Because of this, I am doing my own makeup. If it weren't for the pictures, I would be dressing myself and putting on my own shoes. And if it weren't for a gift card I received I was going to give myself a manicure and a pedicure. The only "pampering" I get is having my hair done. And I wouldn't even consider that pampering.

I think a more important phrase should be, every bride should feel loved on her wedding day.

I'm certainly already feeling that. I have four women (my mom's friends) helping plan all the festivities. Who am I kidding? They ARE planning all the festivities (with my approval). I hate wedding planning but dang, this is the easiest thing I have done. I just say yay or nay and they put it into action. But back to that love thing! Today I was feeling loved when we unloaded a trunk full of flowers bought at the whole sale flower mart in San Francisco. I didn't go on this adventure. My peeps did. They knew what I liked and didn't like. And they got it all for me. Are they being paid to do this? No. Not a dime. They are doing this out of love. They have spent hours brainstorming, planning, shopping, buying, etc. They are amazing women who pour out love into the lives of others. I am eternally grateful to have such a beautiful wedding because they are helping!

Part of me thinks that God is using this time of showering me with love to teach me something. Who am I kidding? God always wants to teach me something! Well, I'm getting it. I've heard the message loud and clear from the get-go! I love you. And I love you this much. And I love you more than that. And I love you more than you'll ever know! And let me show you how much I love you. I get it. God is using others to show me His love. Because before I ever got engaged my fear was that people wouldn't come to my wedding. Because people didn't love me. Well God is changing all of that. I've been so blessed by the generosity of others during this time. I remember one of the first wedding meetings I had with my peeps (the four women helping me) and they were talking and dreaming up all these ideas and I just sat there thinking, seriously? For me? They would do all of this? They don't even have to do this much, but they are. I feel so loved.

Let me just tell you one little story to tie this all together. Some how.

I only invited a couple friends from work due to space capacity at the reception. I work with about 30 other women and out of that I only invited six people I work with. So I never discussed my wedding plans with anyone I wasn't inviting because I didn't want to be rude or anything. Well, the other day I got to work and one of my co-workers told me, someone left you a present! And I saw the writing on the tag and assumed it was one of the parents I knew and thought aw how sweet. Then I opened up the card to see who it was from. I was wrong. In fact I never would have guessed this person would even get me something. This person was one of my co-workers. That I did not invite. And all she got me was some cooking utensils. But the card was the sweetest thing of all. She had written about how she knew I was getting married this weekend and she was praying that it would be a blessing on me and my husband-to-be. And that she thought I did an amazing job working with those crazy two year olds. Seriously, the sweetest thing. I almost cried when I read it because I was so touched by her generosity. The fact that she even thought of me, that she went out, looked up my registry and bought me some of the items off of it meant so much to me. Who knew that a spatula and a ladle would be such a blessing to me! I have reread that card several times just because it brings me this great feeling of being loved and when I feel this, I always think thank you God for loving me through others.

It is such an amazing feeling to be loved so much more than you could/would ever imagine. I wish everyone could just feel a little ounce of what I have felt during this time. Especially brides-to-be. Every time I feel loved on by someone else I always tell myself remember how this feels because you need to do this to others.

And these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13

No comments: